Kevin loved Stranger Things. He thought he had found the show that would be his all-time favorite. Then season 2 and 3 came along and Kevin’s world crumbled. Today, we bring in some help to try to help Kevin see the light with mixed results.
Sean Malone is the Director of Media at the Foundation for Economic Education (FEE) and runs the FEE YouTube channel which has amassed over 110k subscribers. We brought him onto the show because possibly more than anyone, Sean studies and breaks down stories. That’s the basis behind his Out of Frame content. In this episode, Sean does his best to dissect Stranger Things and why Kevin finds it so objectionable. Along the way, we also talk about the struggles of the Matrix sequels and Suicide Squad.
That’s just the beginning, as this we also dive into Sean’s work in creating content around economics that entertains and informs. We break down his popular Out of Frame series and how he approaches pop culture as an opportunity to teach important lessons. From Thanos’ flawed theory of overpopulation to the complexities of the single-buyer markets in “The Boys,” Sean is an expert at using popular storytelling as a teaching tool.
The conversation turns back to creator advice as we talk about how to nail that internship as Kevin remembers some personal advice from Conan O’Brien. Plus we pick Sean’s brain for his opinions on how to build a team of confidants you can seek out for constructive criticism and the difference between marketers and creators.
In a quick prologue, Kevin introduces an insightful new book, “The Science of Storytelling.”
Join our Patreon to unlock the extended episode, which includes additional, more personal content, including:
- We answer questions from the Idea Baby Gang & Creators
- Sean’s crazy time with (probably) Tommy Wiseau
- Dealing with hot topics like politics or economics without starting a shouting match
- Why are people so hyper-confident about economics?
- Engaging audiences in the comments
- Matt coins a phrase and impresses Kevin
SEAN W. MALONE
- Watch Sean’s Out of Frame series on Youtube
- Follow FEE on YouTube
- View Sean’s website
- Follow Sean on Podchaser
THE CREATE UNKNOWN
- Hosts: Kevin Lieber and Matt Tabor
- Executive Producer: Dave Keine
- Editing: Adam Ganong
- Theme by Mega Drive
- Special Thanks: Mo Lewit and Paula Lieber
- “The Create Unknown” is produced by Unknown Media
💬 CONNECT WITH US:
- Chat with us on Discord
- Follow us on Twitter
- Follow us on Instagram
- Follow us on Facebook
- Follow us on Podchaser
- View our website
Advertising Inquiries: https://redcircle.com/brands